Sunday 22 March 2009

Things I Like #7 - the Gym

Four years ago, at the ripe old age of 35, I wanted to play football again. As part of that decision was the desire to improve my fitness level. Mostly that meant running and sit-ups. After one full season, the next obvious step was to join a gym. Nunawading Aqualink was an appealing choice as membership includes the use of their 50m pool and gymnasium. I now have the choice of exercising indoors, in the pool or continuing to run outside.
My aim is to do 3 aerobic sessions (of 30 min each) and two weights sessions per week. By simply "turning up and doing it" I have noticed a gradual and positive improvement to my fitness level, strength and body shape. I am measured 3 or 4 times a year and it is always pleasing to know that progress has been made.
What has taken a little longer to realise is that one of the benefits of being fitter includes keeping (a physical form of) depression at bay. Instead of feeling life is getting on top of me, I can approach my life positively and interactively.
Since my last measure, at the start of summer, my aerobic fitness has improved from 1.79 to 1.92 (watts per kg). What does this mean? I don't really know except that its better! Go boy!

No comments: