Thursday 2 March 2006

Highlight (singular)

Barely recovering from the horror that is Daryl Somers on the front cover of this week's GG comes the body blow that there is not much on the tube to raise the blood pressure this week. Perhaps given my choice of moniker (aka Kermit) I should consider the double billing on channel 10 (Sun 12noon) of Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets from Space (the worst in the Muppet oeuvre).
Monday night is Oscar night and starts at 8pm and goes all night. I'm not kidding. Allllll night. For some sicko reason I actually get a small thrill watching even though I haven't seen most of the films nominated and am not likely too. Perhaps its the thought that if I had watched them all then my life would be different. I guess if I had, I wouldn't need to live out someone else's dream on Oscar night. Anyhoo - enough about me.
While I'm loathe to make predictions about films I haven't seen, the general consensus seems to be that in the best picture category, Brokeback Mountain is losing steam and Crash has picked up in favouritism for the award.
I am a big fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman, favourite for best actor for his portrayal of Truman Capote in In Cold Blood. Hoffman has played a wide range of roles and I am yet to find a "bad patch". He plays social misfit in PT Anderson's Boogie Nights, rich party boy in The Talented Mr Ripley and has a memorable supporting role in Punch Drunk Love, to name just three roles. This film is at the top of my "to see" list - a win at the Oscar's should ensure I have another week or two yet to catch it in wide release.
Reese Witherspoon is regarded as a hands-down favourite to win best actress for her portrayal of June Carter Cash in Walk The Line.
If anything grabs my attention from the night then I might add a comment. If you're kicking for something to do Monday afternoon, check back to see if there is an update !

No comments: